Thursday, June 19, 2008

6 Word Memoir

I was tagged by my friend Dana at Tutu Monkey

This originated over an idea that was prompted by the book written by Larry Smith and Rachel Fershleiser, Not Quite What I was Planning: Six Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure. It's a compilation based on the story that Hemingway once bet ten dollars that he could sum up his life in six words. His words were- For Sale: baby shoes, never worn.

Here are the rules:
1. Write your own six word memoir.
2. Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you’d like.
3. Link to the person that tagged you in your post and to this original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere.
4 .Tag five more blogs with links.
5. And don’t forget to leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play!

Are we ready? Ok. Let's GO!

Not very sentimental, I know but we are trying to describe our lives in 6 words and that about sums mine up. I have always been one to stay active. I don't stay still for long. I'll give you a few examples.

1. When I first graduated from high school, I just didn't want to go to college yet (to the sadness of my parents for sure). I decided instead that I was going to go to Israel and live on a kibbutz for a year. That didn't last as long as I hoped because I got very sick with my Crohn's while I was there and medical attention was near to nothing on the kibbutz where they didn't know exactly what Crohn's was or what to do about it. Anyway, a couple months later, I was back in the states and working a full time job in an office. At the end of the intended year off, I planned to go to college, but not the normal way. I went to a study abroad program through the Missouri State University in Kirksville (now known as Truman State). I studied in Seville, Spain even though I had never had even 1 Spanish class before and had an amazing time for my first semester in college. When I got back, I went for my next semester to the university in Kirksville, but decided that I wanted to study anthropology. They didn't have an anthropology department there, so for the following semester I went to University of Missouri, Warrensburg. Unfortunately, by the time I was in Warrensburg, I had decided that I had a change of heart and really wanted to pursue another love of mine, fashion design. They didn't have a fashion design department, but they did have fashion merchandising so I did course work in that. While I was there, my Crohn's flared up really badly and I ended up having to come back to St. Louis and get hospitalized for a while. When I got back, at first, I planned on staying in Warrensburg, but after having already moved my stuff into my new dorm room and everything, we decided that it would be best that I come and live at home while I am getting better so that my mom could watch over me. An agreement was struck between my parents and myself that I would pursue my love of fashion design (which may not be practical) and also pursue a degree in computers (the earn a living degree that I wasn't passionate about but was good at). So... I went to Forest Park Community College where I attended figure drawing and other art classes AND Univ. of Missouri, St. Louis where I was attending programming classes. For those keeping track, I went to 5 different educational settings located in 4 different locales in 2 years.

2. When I was working on a degree in Business Information Systems (read programmer) in Denver, CO, (if you are curious about how I got from number 1 to number 2, I guess you'll just have to stay tuned in :) ) I got a job working in my field so I could earn a living. I went to school full time (15 credit hours) and worked full time (45 hours/week). I also would go out with my girlfriends clubbing all the time. Sleep is for sissies after all!

3. Ari and I attended music, dance, gymnastics, and soccer classes together. We also go to the park by ourselves a lot, run errands, attend playgroup meetings, and spend time with Safta.

Did I mention that I'm not one for standing still too long? I love to travel and I love to experience new things and places. The world is an adventure so lets explore it to the fullest! You can't explore if you aren't on the move... so... Are we ready? OK. Let's GO!

Amusingly, my parents had a different 6 word biography that they would say suited me since I was a little girl... "Don't tell me what to do!" LOL There is an old song that goes "You don't own me. I'm not just one of your little toys. You don't own me. (don't remember this line) So... Don't tell me what to do! Don't tell me what to say! And please when I go out with you, don't put me on display!" I use to think of it as my anthem. Hehe...

As far as tagging anyone else... I haven't been blogging long enough to tag other people, so I'll take a note from my friend Sonya who also got tagged by Dana and just not tag anyone. Sorry for being lame. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great (enthusiastic) 6 word memoir and thoughtful post. I also have Crohn's although I seem to be fine if I am completely gluten free so I'm not so sure it was/is Crohn's. I do take Pentasa though, just in case:) Thanks for playing the meme!

TUTU Monkey said...

I love it!! This is a great one and I agree with bookbabe it is "enthusiastic" and full of energy!!

Have a great day!!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea your educational background was so colorful!

I've been sitting here trying to think of a six-word memoir and came up with two, but haven't hit on "the one."

"We are already whatever we dream."

"I'm not going to give up."

(not sure is using a contraction is considered cheating -- heh)

Sonya said...

Love this one!!! Such a great way to describe life!

I like posts that give a glimpse of who you are...until we meet anyways! :) We are too much alike to not be friends! :)