Sunday, April 20, 2008

Dance Baby, Dance!

On Friday morning Ari tried out her first dance class and it was very monumental to us.  The teacher had initially told us that most times parents will stay in with their child the first couple of lessons and then eventually, the class is supposed to be for the child to be there without the parent.  We went into the class and joined in with everyone and it was really nice but I realized that Ari was really into things for brief times but then she would turn to me instead of listening to the instructors.  I decided that the next moment she was distracted by the activity, I would sneak out and as soon as she got upset, I would come back in, but I was obviously more in the way than supportive.  

Well... Ari stayed in and loved the WHOLE class.  All 45 minutes with me only there the first 5 minutes or so.  She had such a good time with the other children and dancing around to the music.  The class is set up perfectly moving from one thing to the next so fast that they don't even really have a chance to consider being unhappy about mommy not being there.  The milestone is that, while Ari and I have done a lot of classes together in her lifetime, this is the first one where she was experiencing it without me.  My heart was both joyous at how well she did and sad to think that it was really the start of her having a lot of new experiences without me in the near future.  

I totally recommend this dance school.  If you want to hear more about it, please feel free to leave me a comment with your email address if I don't already have it.  Also, leave me your special milestone in the comments, because I would love to hear about them!

No comments: