Saturday, May 31, 2008

Where are my stamps?

Ari has been sick this last week (which is one of the reasons it has taken me so long to get back to posting) and so we have been missing all of her classes. For those that don't have your children in any classes, at the end of each class, there is always stamps that they give to all the children. They are always on the hands, often on the feet, and sometimes found on the belly!

So this week, having not gone to our classes of music, gymnastics, soccer, and dance, we had NO STAMPS! Ari was so upset the other day realizing that when she looked down at her little hands there was nothing there to look at. It was the cutest thing, but also got me thinking.

If we, when they are children, promote decorations on the body such as stamps and stickers in various locations from classes or often also at home, how can it come as a shock when they grow up and want to decorate their bodies? I have a tattoo and love it, but it is one subtle, discreet tat. I have nothing against getting tattoos though admittedly I don't personally find it attractive when people have "sleeves" or are exceedingly covered in them. I don't think it is wrong, just a personal preference. Now as a parent, I do understand why we have a hard time, if we don't have any and never wanted one, why it is hard to understand or desire our children to have them. You look at them as your baby always and you think, "You are perfect! Absolutely perfect!"

Still, if they grow up decorating themselves, then it only stands to reason that they won't find it such a mental leap to choose to one day make a permanent decoration of something they find meaning in. I guess this theory will have to wait and see. I don't plan on stopping Ari from getting her beloved stamps at the end of her classes so years from now, I'll see if she ever chooses to make herself a permanent "stamp."

Until then, I will continue to let her know she is perfect just as she is!

P.S. Thanks for the kick in the butt to get back to posting Tonya! :)

2 comments:

TUTU Monkey said...

It is amazing the body art that kids love.......we are into Band aids right now for EVERY little bump.


Have a great time on your get-a-way.........it felt so good to have a deep nights sleep. Have fun!!

TUTU Monkey said...

You have been tagged....:)