Tuesday, April 8, 2008

"You're Going to Spoil that Baby"

How many of us have heard this from strangers because we are holding our babies a lot or being attentive when they cry.  "You are going to spoil that baby", must have been beaten into some people by someone who was not sparing the rod.  LOL

So... what is spoiling?  Is it showing another human being that you love them unconditionally?  If my husband showered me with endless amount of love but our relationship was exactly the same otherwise, would I be spoiled?  Would I expect to always get my way?  Would I behave badly with others?  Would I believe that my wishes were more important than other people's?  Or... Would I just be a person who knew she was loved and was able to be confidant in myself and the world around me knowing I could always turn to my husband when a day goes poorly?

I don't believe there is any way to spoil a child with love and attention.  I do believe that you can spoil a child when you give into their demands all of the time.  If you have said "no", but then turn around and cave because they are crying and throwing a tantrum.  If you let them run amok in a public place without checking their behavior.  If you allow bad behavior to go unpunished because you aren't following through with consequences.  These are the building blocks of spoiling a child.  The amusing thing I have found, is that a lot of times, those same parents who don't believe in giving a lot of attention to their children are the one's caving in to a crying child.  So... whose child will be spoiled?  My disciplined beloved baby girl or the unruly child loved at a distance?

I say... Love, love, and more love!  If I'm spoiling her, then let the spoiling continue!

This is a brief one.  Isn't it nice I'm not writing a novel every time?

2 comments:

Sonya said...

I love that you love her soooo very much!!!! And I love that someone other than myself loves their child with everything they have! :) Take Care and Many hugs!!!

TUTU Monkey said...

I hear ya!!! Love, love and more love!!